Skip to main content



Art & Color in "Los Portales"

To speak of the Los Portales neighborhood is to tell part of the history of Otavalo. This sector is considered as an icon of this city, because there the commercial activities of the first inhabitants began.
The Portales, name with which this neighborhood was baptized, was inaugurated on May 24, 1900, as a center where activities of the cohabitation of the Otavaleños and imbabureños were carried out. With the passage of time, this commercial movement has remained for 116 years. The Portals served as warehouses for the hundreds of merchants who came with their products from different parts of the province, to sell at the Saturday fairs.
The spaces that were in this square, near Los Portales, known as 24 de Mayo, lent themselves to the practice of sports, such as handball, soccer, tournament tapes, burning of castles, dance of disguise in innocents , bullfights and even running circuses and carousels.
The market worked until 2017 year in which it was demolished, due to hygienic and…

Latest Posts

A brief history of the ancient Otavalo

Free Walking Tour in Otavalo

The project: Aya Huma Free Walking Tour